And we’re done Six of Crows! I can’t believe it. But maybe I should…because December ended up being crazy for myself as well as most of the participants who were discussing stuff with me in the Twitter group chat for this readalong. This readalong was supposed to end near the end of December, but ended up getting extended to mid January just because of all of the insanity! Ah! I definitely won’t be hosting another readalong in December of any year, that’s for sure. I absolutely loved this book though, and I hope that the rest of you did too! Also, if you didn’t participate in the readalong, but have read this book, please feel free to answer the questions and/or join in the discussion!
– THE BOOK –
SIX OF CROWS BY LEIGH BARDUGO
Title: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Imprint: Henry Holt and Company
Date published: September 29, 2015
Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he’ll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:
Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)
Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)
Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done – and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable – if they don’t kill each other first.
– Chapters 31-46 Discussion Questions –
Note: Those of you who have not yet read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo and still intend to read it, don’t read beyond this point (including the comments), because there will be spoilers! You have been warned. But if you like spoilers go right ahead…haha.
To participants: It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. The questions are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please be sure to avoid posting spoilers about Crooked Kingdom, the next book in this series.
Also! if you do decide to answer the questions in the comments, please number your answers to correspond with the questions. It just makes it easier and less confusing for everyone to keep up! Thank you!
- Did you think that (considering all of the obstacles) all 6 characters would make it out of the The Ice Court alive?
- Were you expecting Jesper and Wylan to run into issues with the gate?
- Did you expect Inej to get separated from the group as she did? And what did you think of her interaction with Tante Aline?
- Did you think that things would go well for Nina once she caught sight of Jarl Brum? And were you shocked to see Matthias show up at the end of chapter 34? Did you think he’d betrayed Nina?
- How did you feel when Matthias’ betrayal turned out to just be an act?
- Did your feelings for Jesper and Wylan change at all from the beginning of the book?
- Did you expect Jesper and Wylan to rescue Inej? Or did you expect her to escape in a different way or not at all?
- Were you surprised that Kaz had not expected to be stopped by soldiers on the beach, since he seems to plan for every possibility?
- Were you shocked that Nina took jurda parem to save everyone? Or did you see it coming?
- Did you expect what went down with Van Eck at the end? Did you suspect that Wylan had been made to look like Kuwei? Or were you surprised?
- Did you expect Inej to be kidnapped and that her rescue would become the plot of book 2?
- Were you surprised to find that Kaz had left Pekka Rollins alive? And did you expect Kaz to go to him for help?
- Do you have any other thoughts or comments on the book overall?
- And lastly, will you be reading book 2 (Crooked Kingdom)?!
– MY ANSWERS –
- I actually got some tissues ready, because I was sure that at least 1 of them wouldn’t make it out!
- I didn’t expect them to run into issues at the gate for some reason, haha. Probably because they had run into so many other obstacles.
- Inej getting separated … I didn’t predict would happen, but I was not surprised when it did happen. And I had really hoped that she would kill Tante Aline! That woman is evil.
- I was certain that things would go sideways for Nina once she saw Brum alive. There’s no way that he would have forgotten her. I’m not sure what she was thinking, and I was very frustrated that she just fell into his trap!
- Oh my gosh, I was so scared that he’d betrayed Nina, because I ship them so hard, and I know that if he had betrayed her, there would be no way to save their relationship.
- Jesper and Wylan definitely grew on me, and I kind of ship them … but I wish that I shipped them harder, and just liked them more. I do like them and ship them more once it’s revealed that Wylan allowed his face to be turned into that of Kuwei, because it definitely added tension between him and Jesper and made their relationship more interesting. I look forward to seeing how things between them develop in book 2!
- I didn’t expect Wylan and Jesper to rescue Inej. Heck, I thought that she’d get imprisoned in The Ice Court and that book 2 would be all about getting her back out again or something.
- I was indeed surprised that Kaz hadn’t planned for the soldiers on the beach!
- Shocked yes, and also surprised … although, once it happened, I told myself that I should have seen it coming. It all made me very sad because of how addictive jurda parem is, and because I knew how much she and Matthias would suffer.
- I don’t know why, but I thought that Van Eck would be true to his word. Sigh. I’m so gullible. How do I even survive out in the real world? Also, I knew that Kaz had made some plans just in case, and started suspecting things a little, when they actually met Van Eck. I felt bad for Wylan when we found out what the case between him and his dad really is.
- Because Inej had made it out of The Ice Court with everyone, I did not expect her to be taken at all, and for book 2 actually turn out being about her rescue! I’m sad that she’s separated from Kaz now, but at the same time, I really love romantic rescue plots! I can’t wait for their reunion! Gah.
- I was definitely surprised that Pekka Rollins was alive! But thinking about it, it made sense that Kaz helped him get out, because he wants to take Pekka down himself.
- I absolutely loved this book, and cannot wait to dive into Crooked Kingdom!
- Yes! 100%!
– SCHEDULE –
|DATE||CHAPTER DISCUSSIONS||DISCUSSION LOCATION|
|December 8, 2017||Start reading!||N/A|
|December 15, 2017||Chapters 1-14||Here|
|December 30, 2017||Chapter 15-30||Here|
|January 14, 2017||Chapter 31-46||This post!|
THANK YOU FOR READING AND THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU PARTICIPATING IN THIS READALONG! I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS, AND DISCUSSING THEM WITH YOU! I ALSO HOPE THAT YOU HAVE ALL ENJOYED THE BOOK, AND THAT YOU WILL JOIN ME FOR FUTURE READALONGS!