Wow. The holidays really took me by surprise this year. First off, finishing a project for work took longer than expected, so my Winter break started later than I expected. Then … just … Christmas happened. Errands, buying gifts, wrapping gifts, meeting people, and just being all over the place … everywhere but in front of my computer, basically. This discussion post is therefore quite late, due to that reason, and I apologize for that! As it turns out, most participants became quite busy as well, so this delay might work out for the best. To see what we thought of chapters 15 to 30, continue reading! (And beware of spoilers, if you have not read Six of Crows yet!)
– THE BOOK –
SIX OF CROWS BY LEIGH BARDUGO
Title: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Imprint: Henry Holt and Company
Date published: September 29, 2015
Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he’ll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:
Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)
Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)
Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done – and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable – if they don’t kill each other first.
– Chapters 15-30 Discussion Questions –
Note: Those of you who have not yet read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo and still intend to read it, don’t read beyond this point (including the comments), because there will be spoilers! You have been warned. But if you like spoilers go right ahead…haha.
To participants: It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. The questions are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please, also keep in mind that we are discussing chapters 15-30 at this point only, and that if you have read ahead, that you be conscious about not sharing spoilers. We want to keep this fun for everyone! Please be considerate.
Also! if you do decide to answer the questions in the comments, please number your answers to correspond with the questions. It just makes it easier and less confusing for everyone to keep up! Thank you!
- What was your first impression of Matthias? And what do you think happened between him and Nina? (Remember, no spoilers if you’ve read ahead, please!)
- How do you feel about Jesper?
- What did you think of Inej and Kaz’s conversation after she recovered from her injuries?
- Do you feel at all sympathetic toward Matthias when he sees Fjerda again?
- Do you think that Matthias will stick to the plan? Or that he will betray the group the moment he gets the chance?
- What is your opinion of Fjerda after the scene with the burned Grisha?
- How did you feel about Nina and Matthias’ deal to kill the person whom they had been sent to kidnap?
- How did you feel about Kaz when you saw more of his vulnerable side, and learned more about his past in the scene with the prisoner cart?
- Did you have any guesses about Kaz’s plan and how it would go?
- Were you frustrated at how Nina handled her mission in looking for their target in the prison cells?
- Did you think that Inej would be able to make the climb up the chimney? Also, how did you feel about the bit of her past that was revealed in this part of the book, and her new plan and determination?
- What do you think that Kaz did to Pekka Rollins?
- How do you feel about Jesper and Wylan?
- Do you think that Inej will make it back to the group in time to escape?
– MY ANSWERS –
- I finished the book some weeks ago, so I won’t answer the 2nd question, but as for the first one … I remember being frustrated that he was angry with Nina, when she was obviously so happy to see and save him from the prison.
- I’m not sure! Like … he does provide comic relief, which is very good, but otherwise, I don’t really feel attached to him, and I’m not sure why.
- I found it immensely frustrating, because neither of them said what they meant! They obviously both care for each other, but are too scared to admit it out loud.
- Definitely! Despite his gruff exterior, I have a feeling that he has a very gentle and good side to him. Being a Romanian who lives outside of Romania, I also understand that painful feeling when one sees their homeland again after a long absence.
- Bardugo did a good job in this regard. I was definitely kept on my toes, and never knew what Matthias would do or not do.
- I was really disgusted, and wanted all of Fjerda to burn. But at the same time … I love their relationship with nature and the wolves, and I love Matthias. I’m conflicted!
- I understood why they wanted to do it, but was also angry because they planned to betray the group!
- That scene juts made me love him more, and also love Inej more for how she handled him.
- Not really! His mid definitely works differently from how mine works, haha.
- Yes! I kept yelling at her to stop what she was doing and just focus on the mission!
- I thought she’d make it up, although with difficulty. I had Tante Heleen. Aaand I’m happy that she found focus and determination, but was annoyed that it would take her away from Kaz! Ah!
- I think Kaz definitely killed him!
- I think they’d make a cute couple, but am not sure if that’s where it’s going. I don’t really feel close or connected to either of them, sadly.
- I’m actually worried that she won’t, and that Kaz will go back for her, and that someone or someones will die.
– SCHEDULE –
|DATE||CHAPTER DISCUSSIONS||DISCUSSION LOCATION|
|December 8, 2017||Start reading!||N/A|
|December 15, 2017||Chapters 1-14||Here|
|December 30, 2017||Chapter 15-30||This post!|
|January 6, 2017||Chapter 31-46||Flavia the Bibliophile|
THANK YOU FOR READING AND THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU PARTICIPATING IN THIS READALONG! I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS, AND DISCUSSING THEM WITH YOU! I ALSO HOPE THAT YOU HAVE ALL ENJOYED THE BOOK SO FAR!