It’s time for our third (and last book) discussion already! Where did the time go? I won’t lie, I finished this book one or two days after posting the second discussion post last week! I just had to find out how it ends. And now I’m even more excited to see the movie, and I hope that all of you can join me next Wednesday in discussing the movie adaptation! Beware that there are spoilers for the book in this post and the comments, if you have not yet read this book but still intend to read it!
– About the Book –
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
by Jenny Han
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Date published: April 15th, 2014
Source: Personal purchase.
What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them… all at once?
Sixteen-year-old Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren’t love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control.
– Chapters 50-72 Discussion Questions –
Those of you who have not yet read To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han and still intend to read it, don’t read beyond this point (including the comments), because there will be spoilers! You have been warned. But, if you like spoilers … be my guest!
It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. The questions are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please be sure to avoid posting spoilers about P.S. I Still Love You, the next book in this series.
Also! if you do decide to answer the questions in the comments, please number your answers to correspond with the questions. It just makes it easier and less confusing for everyone (including myself)! Thank you!
– The Questions –
- Did you expect Peter to confess his feelings for Lara Jean when and how he did?
- Did you expect for Lara Jean to admit her feelings out loud to Peter on the very same day like she did?
- What did you think of Genevieve’s vengeance?
- Did you expect the book to end the way it did?
- And finally, are you planning on reading the rest of the series? AND would you be interested in readalongs for the next two books of the series?
– My Answers –
- I was kind of dissapointed by how this happened, if I’m being completely honest. There weren’t any fireworks for me really … and I understand why Lara Jean was hesitant about sharing her feelings / getting together with Peter for real because of Peter’s feelings for Genevieve. Plus, Peter was mean to her the entire day before this all went down, too!
- Definitely not! I thought that she would make us suffer (alongside her) while she took days and days to think everything over. And I dreaded that she might not confess at all in this book! So, I’m glad that she decided to confess her feelings when and how she did.
- Well, I thought she would do something like spill punch or beer (Ew! Stinky!) on Lara Jean … or something like that. So, I thought that the actual way in which she took her vengeance was very very cruel. That being said, it was not too too surprising, considering how mean teenagers can be to each other, and how cruel high school can be in general. What I didn’t expect was why Genevieve stopped being Lara Jean’s friend, though!
- To be honest, when checking to see how many chapters the book had, so I could figure out how to portion off each discussion section, I accidentally saw the very last words in the book. Facepalm. But, I figured that either Lara Jean wrote “Dear Peter” because she got over him over the course of the book, or because she’s writing him a love letter. So, it’s fine because it could have gone either way in my mind. But, the way it actually ended … I did definitely not see coming … and I’m glad that I don’t have to wait a whole year to find out how things develop from this point!
- Yes, I will definitely be continuing the series! And whether I host readalongs for the next two books depends entirely on YOUR answers to this question! Hehe.
– Readalong Schedule –
|Date||Chapter Discussions||Discussion Location|
|July 23, 2018||Start reading!||N/A|
|August 1, 2018||Chapters 1-24||Here!|
|August 8, 2018||Chapter 25-49||Here!|
|August 15, 2018||Chapter 50-72||This post!|
|August 22, 2018||Netflix Movie Discussion||Flavia the Bibliophile|