It’s time for our second discussion already! Where did the time go? As some of the participants may have seen in our Twitter group chat, I really struggled with stopping at the end of chapter 49, hahaha. This book is so good! And cute and just everything. I want to know how it ends, but I resisted for the sake of our discussion! I didn’t want my knowing the end of the book to influence my answers, or for me to let a spoiler slip by accident or something. Ah! Beware that there are spoilers for the book in this post and the comments, if you have not yet read this book but still intend to read it!
– About the Book –
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
by Jenny Han
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Date published: April 15th, 2014
Source: Personal purchase.
What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them… all at once?
Sixteen-year-old Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren’t love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control.
– Chapters 25-49 Discussion Questions –
Those of you who have not yet read To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny HAn and still intend to read it, don’t read beyond this point (including the comments), because there will be spoilers! You have been warned. But, if you like spoilers…be my guest!
It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. The questions are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please be sure to avoid posting spoilers about P.S. I Still Love You, the next book in this series.
Also! if you do decide to answer the questions in the comments, please number your answers to correspond with the questions. It just makes it easier and less confusing for everyone (including myself)! Thank you!
– The Questions –
- Do you think that Genevieve is biding her time while planning something awful for Lara Jean? Or do you think that she is actually just preoccupied with her college boyfriend?
- Before finding out that this was the case, did you think Margot and Josh had been intimate? Or no?
- Did you expect Peter to go to Genevieve when she “needed him”? Or was that a surprise?
- Was it a surprise to you that Margot disapproves of Lara Jean’s relationship with Peter?
- Did you expect Lara Jean to develop feelings for Peter despite her denials?
- How do you think Peter feels about Lara Jean?
– My Answers –
- I definitely feel like she is planning something quite bad for Lara Jean and possibly Peter as well!
- I figured that they had been intimate … considering how long they’d been together and teenage hormones and all that, haha.
- It was a kind of surprise for me. I mean, I knew she had quite the hold on him, but I didn’t think that Peter would give in so quickly … especially since he’s in a fake relationship meant to sever his social image from Genevieve’s.
- Yeah! I thought she’d be happy for Lara Jean. UNLESS, Margot did in fact break up with Josh so that Lara Jean had a chance to be with him because Margot saw the letters … Dun dun duuuun!
- I didn’t expect her to develop feelings for Peter, but I definitely wanted her to! Josh is off limits!
- Hmm. I think that Peter does like Lara Jean, but either A) Genevieve’s hold on his is too strong, B) he isn’t aware of his own feelings, or C) he’s afraid of getting rejected, despite all of his bravado and confidence.
– Readalong Schedule –
|Date||Chapter Discussions||Discussion Location|
|July 23, 2018||Start reading!||N/A|
|August 1, 2018||Chapters 1-24||Here!|
|August 8, 2018||Chapter 25-49||This post!|
|August 15, 2018||Chapter 50-72||Flavia the Bibliophile|
|August 22, 2018||Bonus Netflix Movie Discussion||Flavia the Bibliophile|