Wow, guys! We made it to the end of Renegades! I cannot believe that this is already our very last discussion about this book! What a roller coaster ride. If this is the first time you are hearing about Calendar Girls, it is a monthly blogging event which is hosted by Melanie and myself! For more details, please go to my info page about Calendar Girls!
– The Readalong Book –
Renegades by Marissa Meyer
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Imprint: Feiwel & Friends
Date published: November 7, 2017
Page Count: 576
She wants vengeance. He wants justice.
The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies—humans with extraordinary abilities—who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone…except the villains they once overthrew.
Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice—and in Nova. But Nova’s allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.
– CHAPTERS 33-43 Discussion Questions –
Note: Those of you who have not yet read Renegades by Marissa Meyer and still intend to read it, don’t read beyond this point (including the comments), because there will be spoilers! You have been warned. But if you like spoilers go right ahead…haha.
To participants: It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. The questions are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please, also keep in mind that we are discussing chapters 33-43 at this point only, and that if you have read ahead, that you be conscious about not sharing spoilers. We want to keep this fun for everyone! Please be considerate.
Also! if you do decide to answer the questions in the comments, please number your answers to correspond with the questions. It just makes it easier and less confusing for everyone to keep up! Thank you!
- Was Max’s power what you expected?
- Did you think that Nova, Adrian, or both of them had lost their powers to Max?
- Do you think that Max will play a bigger role in the rest of the series?
- Did you figure that Max was involved in the last battle with Ace anarchy?
- Did you feel suspicious at Nova’s interest in Ace’s helmet?
- What did you think of Ingrid / The Detonator’s plan? Did you trust her?
- What were your feelings about the amusement park?
- What did you think of Ingrid and Nova’s plan when it went into action?
- Did you expect Ingrid to die? Or did you expect her to get away and face our “heroes” again later in the series?
- Did you expect Ace to be alive? Ah! And how do you feel about him being alive?
- What other thoughts do you have about the ending, and the book overall?! Did the book turn out to be what you expected? Will you be reading the next book in the series?
– MY ANSWERS –
- Well, not really. Though thinking back, “absorption” should have kind of given it away. But for some reason, I thought that was just a word that they used to replace Max’s actual power in the paperwork. Haha.
- I was afraid that Adrian had lost his power, actually. But then when they figured out that he hadn’t lost his power, I was afraid that Nova had lost her power…or some of it. But then I was kind of happy that maybe she’d get to sleep again?
- Oh, definitely! I’m not sure which side will utilize him, but I know hat one side definitely will. Or, he’l get messed up somehow, and become a new villain.
- I kind of had a feeling that he’d been involved, once I figured out what his power was, because Ace would just have been too powerful to be defeated otherwise.
- No. I just thought that she wanted the helmet because it belonged to her last living relative. I thought that her motives were purely emotional.
- I waned to…but mostly didn’t trust her.
- I don’t know…I was a little bit bored? I think that I expected more than what we got. I did feel chemistry between Nova and Adrian, sure, but it was nothing like the chemistry that I felt between other couples in other novels. I guess the part with the birthday party and the kids was cute?
- Again, I didn’t trust Ingrid. So I wasn’t too surprised when she kind of went and did her own thing. But I wanted the plan to actually go the way they’d discussed, because in that moment, I wanted Nova to be able to shed her Nightmare persona, and become a Renegade. Sigh.
- I expected her to get away, or become imprisoned, and then cause trouble later on!
- Not really…or rather, every time that I thought about it, I would tell myself “nah, Flavia. That’s not how it’s going to go. Stop thinking that.” Also, I’m kind of excited that he’s alive!
- Just like most of you mentioned in the Twitter chat, the ending kind of made me go “Oh my gosh! What?!” and then also “How do I feel about this book?! I don’t know!” Also, I’m not sure exactly what I expected. Maybe something along the lines of Marissa Meyer’s Lunar Chronicles books? And it definitely wasn’t a book like that … I don’t think? I’m obviously confused and conflicted! Haha. As for the second book, well, I’m not as excited about it as I’d like to be, but I will definitely be reading it just to see where the story goes!
– Schedule –
|DATE||CHAPTER DISCUSSIONS||DISCUSSION LOCATION|
|November 11, 2017||Start reading!||N/A|
|November 18, 2017||Preface – Chapter 8||Here|
|November 25, 2017||Chapter 9 – 20||Here|
|December 2, 2017||Chapter 21 – 32||Here|
|December 9, 2017||Chapter 33 – 43||The post!|
THANK YOU FOR READING AND THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU PARTICIPATING IN THIS READALONG! I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS, AND DISCUSSING THEM WITH YOU! I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT WE MADE IT TO THE END OF THAT THICK BOOK, BUT HERE WE ARE, AND I HOPE THAT YOU WILL ALL JOIN ME AGAIN FOR FUTURE READALONGS!