Welcome to the 3rd discussion for our A Darker Shade of Magic readalong! I hope that you’re all keeping up, and that those of you who have already finished the book (haha) will continue to join us for discussions! Please let me know if you have any concerns at all, by contacting me via my Contact page, or through the comments below! If this is the first time you’re hearing about this readalong, you can read the announcement and sign-up post here! If you want reminder emails, please be sure to sign up for the newsletter as well (link also provided in the post linked above).
– The Readalong Book –
A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC BY V.E. SCHWAB
Title: A Darker Shade of Magic
Author: V.E. Schwab
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: TOR Books
Date published: February 24, 2015 (hardcover)
January 19, 2016 (paperback)
Page Count: 400
Synopsis: Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black. Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they’ll never see. It’s a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand. After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure. Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they’ll first need to stay alive.
– Parts 9-11 Discussion Questions –
Note: those of you who have not yet read A Darker Shade of Magic and still intend to read it, don’t read this post beyond this point (including the comments)! But if you like spoilers go right ahead.
To participants: It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. These are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please, also keep in mind that we are discussing parts 9-11 at this point only, and that if you have read ahead, that you be conscious about not sharing spoilers. We want to keep this fun for everyone! Please be considerate.
Announcement: If any of you think of questions that you would like for me to include in the last discussion post (for parts 12-14) please let me know in the comments, by emailing me, or by sending me a DM on Twitter!
- Did you expect Kell and Lila’s travel from Grey London to Red London to go so smoothly? Or did you think that it did not go smooth at all?
- If you lived in Red London, would you attend Prince Rhy’s birthday parties?
- How did you feel about Rhy after Kell shared the story of when Rhy was kidnapped, almost killed, and then forgave his kidnappers?
- What did you think of Lila’s outfit choices? Revolutionary? Boring? Annoying? Would you have preferred if she picked out a dress? Or were you more like “rock on!” while reading this part?
- How do you feel about Lila, in general, now? Different than before? Or the same?
- How do you feel about Kell, in general, now? Different than before? Or the same?
- Was there an instant where you believed that Rhy may have betrayed Kell? Or did you have faith in Rhy the entire time?
- Did you expect Astrid and Athos to have something to do with the stone? Did you expect them to come up in the story again at all?
- Do you think that Rhy will make it? :'(
- Do you think that Kell and Lila will actually make it to Black London in this book? Or do you think that we will we have to wait until book 2 or 3 for that?
– My Answers –
- I think that I expected the travel from one London to the other to have more consequences!
- You can bet that I’d attend Rhy’s birthdays!
- I love Rhy so much! :'(
- At first, I was like “No Lila…look at all the pretty dresses!” But then I realized that they’re really not Lila, and that there’s nothing that suits her better than the outfit she picked out 🙂
- I almost love Lila as much as Rhy and Kell now! Right now the order of preference is: Rhy, Kell, Lila, Athos (I know, weird), Holland, Astrid.
- Answer above applies here! Also, I don’t know why…but Kell feels a little flat for me at times? I don’t know if it’s the audiobook that I occasionally listen to, either? I dunno. I’ll see how I feel during the last discussion!
- Yes! I thought Rhy betrayed Kell for like a split second, and then I felt terrible! Stupid, smart Astrid………
- Yes! Otherwise they wouldn’t have gotten such a detailed intro at the beginning 😉 and I had a feeling that they would not be content with just White London!
- I SURE HOPE RHY MAKES IT :'(
- I have the feeling that we’re running out of page space for that….so this might turn into the overarching plot for books 1-3? But I suppose we’ll know for sure at this time next week! 😉
Also, I thought I’d share the tweet that I posted last night when I got to the end of Part 11!
– Readalong Schedule –
|Date||Chapter Discussions||Discussion Location|
|September 1, 2017||Start reading!||N/A|
|September 6, 2017||Parts 1 – 4||Located here|
|September 13, 2017||Parts 5 – 8||Located here|
|September 20, 2017||Parts 9 – 11||This post!|
|September 30, 2017||Parts 12 – 14||Flavia the Bibliophile|
THANK YOU FOR READING AND THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU PARTICIPATING IN THIS READALONG! AND THANKS TO THOSE OF YOU JUST TUNING IN! IF YOU’VE ALREADY READ THE BOOK BEFORE, YOU’RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION AS WELL! I JUST ASK THAT YOU BE AWARE OF WHICH SECTIONS WE ARE DISCUSSING, AND AVOIDING SPOILERS. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS, AND DISCUSSING THEM WITH YOU! HAPPY READING!